Making an application for compensation after a tenancy is vacated - using Section 77
You can use Section 77 of the Residential Tenancies Act when a tenancy is vacated and you want compensation for cleaning and repairs.
This instruction sheet is designed to help you complete the Application for Order of the Tenancy Tribunal form so the application can be processed quickly and accurately.
For more information contact the Department of Building and Housing free phone 0800 TENANCY (0800 83 62 62) or visit www.dbh.govt.nz.
‘Details of application’ section
In the ‘Details of application’ section make sure you:
- state the date the tenancy was vacated
- request the Tribunal make the following Orders as relevant
- Order for payment of rent arrears to date of termination
- Order for compensation for cleaning and repairs, lock change, rubbish removal etc
- Order for release of the bond of $___ to the applicant.
- include an itemised list with an accurate assessment of the amount you will claim for each item, for example:
Removal of rubbish $XX.00
Re-glazing window $XX.00
Changing locks $XX.00
Submitting your application
You can make an application online at www.dbh.govt.nz and pay the $20.44 application fee with your Visa or Mastercard.
You can also complete a paper form and send by mail to PO box 50546 Porirua, fax to 04 237 1058, or email to email@example.com. You must pay the $20.44 application fee at Westpac bank or by purchasing pre-paid stickers from the Department of Building and Housing before submitting your application.
Forms and information are available from the Department of Building and Housing free phone 0800 TENANCY (0800 83 62 62) or from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
Other information to include
Include the following documents with your application.
- A copy of your Tenancy Agreement.
- A Rent Arrears summary, clearly showing the missing rent payments.